This recipe was modified from the Amy + Jacky: Instant Pot Banana Bread recipe. I added carrots, reduced the brown sugar content slightly and clarified the final cooking step.
|Preparation Time||20 minutes|
|Pressure Cook Time||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Cooling Time||1 hour|
|Total Time||2 hours 50 minutes|
|Servings||12 to 16 slices|
For equipment, you will need an Instant Pot, a steamer rack/trivet, three mixing bowls (small, medium, large), a springform cake pan, parchment paper, aluminum foil, measuring cups/spoons, a grater, and a spatula. I used an 8-Quart Instant Pot Duo and a 6-inch pan with very positive results.
Optional equipment: a potato masher for mashing the bananas; a fine sieve for sifting the dry ingredients; an electric mixer for combining the ingredients together.
- 3-4 (~600g before peeling) overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 (~65g) medium sized carrot, grated
- 2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
- 1/3 teaspoon (1.8g) salt, Windsor iodized table salt
- 1 teaspoon (6g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.8g) Chinese five-spice powder, sub ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (3g) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut oil
- 1/3 cup (65g) brown sugar, reduced to 1/4 cup depending on bananas
- 2 (~115g) large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) maple syrup, sub vanilla extract
- Prepare Dry Ingredients
: In a large mixing bowl, mix 2 cups of all purpose flour, 1/3 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder, and 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Optional: sift the dry ingredients through a mesh strainer for easier mixing.
- Prepare Banana Carrot Mixture : In a small mixing bowl, mash the overripe bananas. Coarsely grate the carrot into strips and add it to the bananas. Mix in 2 beaten eggs and 2 tsp of maple syrup.
- Prepare Wet Ingredients
: In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the 60g room temperature unsalted butter, 1/4 cup coconut oil, and 1/3 cup of brown sugar together.
- Optional: Additional sugar may be added in this step. a. After the wet ingredients are thoroughly creamed together, add the banana mixture until combined. b. Line the bottom of the springform pan with parchment paper.
- Make Batter (Mix Everything) : Slowly pour the banana, carrot, and egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix! There should be no large pockets of dry ingredients, but having lumps in the batter is okay.
- Pressure Cook Banana Carrot Cake
: Pour the banana carrot batter into the lined springform pan. Tap the pan against the counter to relieve some trapped air pockets. Cover the top of the pan with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 cup of cold water into the Instant Pot. Place the pan on top of the trivet and place them in the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid, turn the knob to the sealing position. Pressure cook at high pressure for 60 minutes. Once the 60 minute cook time is finished, Quick release the Instant Pot. Carefully remove the aluminum foil from the pan and close the lid, pressure cooking on high pressure for an additional 10 minutes. Allow the instant pot to naturally release this time before removing the pan from the Instant Pot.
- Chill Banana Bread : Allow the banana bread to cool down to lukewarm/room temperature (approximately 1 hour) before removing from the springform pan. Release this delicious, moist banana carrot bread. Cut into 12-16 slices and enjoy!
- The original recipe calls for the banana bread’s core to be at least 87°C, however even with multiple attempts I have never been able to achieve this internal temperature. The highest I’ve read on my thermometer is ~70°C. Therefore, I added the mandatory step of the double pressure cooking step with the aluminum foil lid removed.
- Shelf life is ~10 days in the fridge, ~6 days at room temperature.
- The banana carrot bread is especially good as toast. I highly recommend reheating it by pan frying the slices with butter/margarine.